I
read Reading and Writing Poetry with
Teenagers by Fredric Lown and Judith W. Steinbergh. I chose this book
because I wanted something that would be a helpful guide for teaching poetry
since many teenagers fin it to be a daunting task. I wasn’t disappointed. This
book was set up very nicely for any teacher—new or experienced—to teach poetry.
This book is set up for use as a full poetry unit that slowly progresses in
intensity. When I first looked at the book the outside pulled me in because it
looked a lot like a bulletin board. The little pieces of poems that I have
read pulled me in. When I first opened the book, I was slightly disappointed
because the inside wasn’t what I expected for such an interesting cover. As I read
through the book, I found that I really liked it.
The book started with a “To the Teacher” chapter.
This chapter is important for guiding teachers through the rest of the book. It
tells teachers of the authors’ goals of putting together this book. These goals
include things such as making poetry accessible, showing a diverse set of
poetry to students, and providing students the chance to create their own poetry.
The authors then discuss the reason that they have put the chapters in the
order they are in. Each chapter has a theme. “This order has a progression of
theme and technique that begins with the most concrete and least threatening
source material and moves to the more personal and then abstract source
material. Also, the techniques start with basic skills for making poems and
progress toward more sophisticated tools for the crafting and revising of
poetry” (p. xiii). This book would be best used for an entire poetry unit, but you
can always modify to fit what you need and teach a chapter in other units. The
next part of the “To the Teacher” talks about the different approaches a
teacher could take to teach this book—from a full unit to a chapter or two elsewhere.
The authors’ also talk about the importance of creating an atmosphere of trust
in the classroom. Sharing poetry can be hard, especially for teenagers who don’t
want to stand out. The authors also provide a revision guide for you and the
students as well as tips for evaluating student work.
The authors have decided on the following
order for the themes to progress: nature and environment; animals; sports;
childhood, adolescence, and growing up; family and relationships; social and
global issues; form and content: sonnets, villanelles, and sestinas; and praise
poems and odes. Each chapter includes an introduction, reading aloud, poems for
discussion, questions for discussion and analysis, bibliography of additional
poems, and writing exercises with student examples. I like that the authors
have included these in each chapter. This means that if a teacher chooses to
take one chapter at a time instead of teaching the whole unit they still have
the same resources available no matter what chapter they are on. I also like
that it provides real student examples so that students can see that these activities
are possible.
Overall, I find that this book is great
for teachers. I think its only downfall is that it is best taught together as a
unit. This book is set up nicely for teachers. Its topics are entertaining and are
relevant to students. The activities provided are easy for students to
understand and to follow. The book doesn’t provide anything for teachers to
follow on how to teach poetry structure so teachers will have to go over structure
during the unit. The fact that there is many types of poems and different
authors is essential because it exposes students the classic authors we think of
as well as those that we don’t usually teach. Overall, I would highly recommend
this book to teachers.
To order this book on Amazon visit: https://www.amazon.com/Reading-Writing-Poetry-Teenagers-Fredric/dp/0825127939
Works Cited
Lown,
Fredric, and Judith W. Steinbergh. Reading
and Writing Poetry with Teenagers. Walch Publishing, 1996.

No comments:
Post a Comment