Thursday, March 15, 2018

REVIEW: Writing in Rhythm: Spoken Word Poetry in Urban Classrooms by Maisha T. Fisher

When I first picked up this book, I was hoping to find methods on how to teach poetry in the classroom. Unfortunately, that is not what I found. Fortunately, however, I did find that this book contained several helpful ways to use poetry in the classroom. In short, this book won't really show how to teach poetry, but how to teach with it. With that in mind, let's take a look at it. 
The first chapter begins with Maisha introducing us to Joe, a teacher in the Bronx. Joe has been doing something with his students, calling them the Power Writers. The point of the Power Writers is to change the world with the power of their words. This is accomplished in several ways. Through something called Joe-isms. Little phrases of his that help the Power Writers remember certain things. They are fantastic! I'm not sure how applicable they all are, but I believe a few of them could be universal. 
The first of these Joe-isms to be introduced was one called "Jedi of words"(18). Being a Jedi of Words is pretty much using not just the correct words, but the best words. It was astonishing reading about how he utilized them inside the classroom and how the students responded to it, of course, the prospect of being called a Jedi helped I'm sure. This idea is something that could be expounded upon in many classrooms to get kids excited about word choice and experiencing something new. This will take a lot of work, but I believe that once kids hop on board with this idea that they will love it! 
In the third chapter, we learn of the backbone of the Power Writers, "reading and feeding" (21). This is another Joe-ism that is his way of saying the students share writing and receive constructive feedback. This is a unique way to phrase it so that the students don't see it as reviewing papers. A major difference, however, is that the students read their writing aloud and the feedback is also given verbally. This slight shift became a way to build classroom community as well as help the students really open up with their writing since constructive feedback was the only form of feedback that was encouraged. 
Joe then introduced another Joe-ism, this one called Bronxonics. This is created to counteract the idea of "standard English" by emphasizing student voice (39). This is a fantastic idea, the whole point is to let students add creativity to their writing by adding words that they use, be it slang or additional languages. Of course, this doesn't mean throwing in a random word here and there, there has to be a purpose to it – and a definition to help those who don't understand it. 
"Catching words" is the next on the list (51). This is a vocabulary tactic which encourages kids to ask about any word that is unfamiliar to them. This is only possible if there is a great community in the classroom. This also allows for students to answer first since they are encouraged to ask their peers first. The teacher will obviously correct this if the definition is not correct.  
Joe always encouraged the Power Writers to sing. Simply put, that just means to put emotion into their work. It's a great way to encourage students to learn to use their voice in incredibly unique ways. Encouraging students to involve emotion in their writing, particularly in poetry, can open many avenues for student engagement as well as a way to connect with writing in ways they haven't discovered before. 
A final idea that Joe pushed out was that of telling the "truth" no matter the circumstance. This doesn't necessarily mean the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth; rather, it means being true to one's self. Standing and writing for what you believe in, regardless of if it's popular opinion or not. This can have a wondrous impact on our students as they can truly stretch themselves and find out who they are. 
I did learn a lot from the Power Writers as I read this book, and it is a great book. However, I do not feel that this book was super helpful in teaching poetry but did show some wonderful ways to use poetry to teach several other messages. I've included a list of Joe-isms below with Joe's own definitions. Again, a great tool for English teachers, but not specifically for poetry. I'd give it an 8/10. 


JOE-ISMS 
Literacy/Being Literate 
"As long as we continue to produce legions of young men and women who cannot read, write, and think independently, we are a subject people." 
Jedi of words 
"We sharpen our language like we sharpen knives." 
Singing 
"Do not deny the emotion in your work!" 
Read and feed 
"You can really only do the pieces you believe in. Each of you has a piece that you truly believe in. If we are rehearsing, it is not to have pressure. It is to increase the level of beauty. I promise you it's going to be beautiful, but you have to practice." 
Bronxonics 
"It's our responsibility to teach the full breadth and scope of the language and to never be ashamed of proficiency. And at the same time to redefine that proficiency. . .. Bronxonics is to be real. To be aware that what we speak in each of our respective neighborhoods, at some level, is dialect and worldview." 
Catching words 
"This is a STICKUP! We're trying to give you something. I want you to collect words and ideas." 
Telling the "truth" 
"If this class is a battlefield, my tactical goal is for you to keep your dreams alive." 

No comments:

Post a Comment